Once in a while, everyone experiences occasional memory lapses or goes through moments of forgetfulness. It can involve forgetting your new colleague’s name, misplace your car keys or forget to turn off the fan in your room. Most times, forgetting things is simply a sign that you are too busy or preoccupied with other tasks. However, if you consistently fail to recall, it can point towards a bad memory which is problematic in the long run.
According to a 2018 US government report, one in nine adults over 45 suffer from memory issues. Various factors contribute to a weak memory, such as stress, depression, anxiety, chronic alcoholism, poor diet, and many more. One prominent factor is genetics, which plays a significant role in severe neurological conditions such as Alzheimer’s or dementia.
Anyone can have a weak memory, whether you are a young student, office worker, or a retired senior. But regardless of what age group you belong in, there are several ways to increase your mental performance. Even in old age, the human brain has the impressive ability to adapt and change, which is also known as neuroplasticity.
The Top 6 Tips to Help You Focus More
Follow these six tips to improve memory and boost your brainpower.
1. Practice Brain Training: Mental workouts are essential to the grey matter. These workouts help challenge, grow, and expand your mind, which, in turn, improves memory. By playing brain games, you are in for some entertainment and also exercise your cognitive skills in the process.
Word recall games, crosswords, word search, Tetris, Sudoku, and even apps dedicated to mind training are excellent ways to train your brain. A study, including 42 adults who had mild cognitive impairments proved that playing games on brain training mobile apps for over four weeks significantly improved performance in memory exams. These games challenge your mind to boost your brainpower and strengthen your memory. Brain training games also reduce the risk of dementia in older individuals.
2. Don’t Miss Out on Physical Exercises: While mental workouts are crucial, it does not mean one can overlook physical exercise. Exercise affects your brain and is vital for enhancing psychological health.
Regular exercise protects the brain’s degeneration and reduces the cognitive decline that comes with age. Moreover, it increases oxygen in your brain and reduces the risk of disorders such as cardiovascular
Even if you cannot exercise for an extended period, moderate exercises for a shorter interval improve cognitive performance across all age groups.
Aerobic exercise is particularly beneficial for the brain as it keeps your blood pumping and even boosts the brain area responsible for verbal memory, the hippocampus.
3. Focus On a Healthy Diet: The food you take plays a significant part in keeping your brain healthy and improves specific mental tasks, like concentration or memory. A diet based on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats boosts brainpower and provides other health benefits.
Some food items to include in your everyday meals are:
Fatty fish – These include trout, salmon, herring, and albacore tuna. They are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids that build brain and nerve cells and ward off various diseases.
Pumpkin seeds – The seeds contain antioxidants that protect both brain and body from free radical damage. Pumpkin seeds are an excellent substitute for non-fish sources as they also have omega 3 and zinc, magnesium, copper, and iron.
Fruits and vegetables – Produce such as broccoli contains antioxidants and is high in specific vitamins. Fruits like blueberries and orange prevent mental decline and help improve communication between brain cells.
Green tea – Drinking green tea boosts brain function and improves concentration and alertness. It makes one of the best tips to improve memory. It has a particular amino acid called L-theanine, which reduces anxiety and makes one feel relaxed.
Many such foods maintain the health of your brain when you strategically include them in your diet.
4. Get Adequate Sleep: According to the CDC, adults need more than 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night. Lack of proper sleep or disrupting the body’s natural cycle leads to cognitive impairment and poor memory.
Even when one skips a few hours of sleep, it can compromise your creative thinking skills, creativity, and problem-solving skills. Fix a sleep program where you go to bed and wake up at the same time. Avoid breaking this routine even on weekends or holidays.
Moreover, if you take caffeine and find it interfering with your sleep schedule, try to reduce or cut it off entirely. Avoid all screen times before you go to bed as the blue light emitted from the electronic gadgets trigger wakefulness and suppress the hormones, which make you sleepy.
5. Keep Track of Stress: Stress is one of the unavoidable factors in our life and the worst enemy of our brains. When you go through a stressful situation, the body reacts to it by secreting stress hormones. Over time, acute and chronic stress affects certain brain areas and causes long-term damage.
When people are stressed, they have difficulty learning and frequently recall events inaccurately. The condition damages the hippocampus and the brain cells, which leads to memory loss. Furthermore, the over secretion of stress hormones often impairs long-term delayed recall memory.
Practicing meditation and mindfulness helps lowers stress levels significantly. One must also maintain a healthy work-life balance, avoid bottling up feelings, and focusing only on one task at a time.
6. Choose Brain Health Supplements: There are products available for easing joint pain and hair loss, as well as brain health supplements. These supplements have omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, amino acids, and other nutrients that promote quick thinking and improve memory and cognitive function.
There are several supplements produced for improving memory and being a brain booster. Out of the many available on the market, Youthful Brain may be a good product. Almost every Youthful Brain review has something to say about the product.
The Youthful Brain supplement developed Vitality Now is billed to combat brain aging, supports mental functions, and boosts cognitive abilities. The formulation of this product includes natural ingredients, such as Vitamin B12, Bacopa (made from an Ayurveda herb), several antioxidant properties, and more.
However, this product is not a magic supplement and does not immediately affect the memory and the body. You will not see any changes in a day or two after consuming it. Instead, the moment you take the first serving, it starts working its effect and shows results after a month.
This product is considered generally safe. There are several benefits of taking Youthful Brain, such as improved cognitive abilities, boosted mental energy, and it has a unique formulation.
However, consult a doctor before buying this supplement and carefully read the instructions, ingredients list, as well as every Youthful Brain review from buyers to help you decide if it’s worth it.
Your brain is an integral part of the human body. It’s crucial to maintain the health of your brain as it can affect your overall quality of life.
Several techniques boost your brainpower and improve your memory, including eating a particular food or making lifestyle changes. Moreover, with brain health supplements, you may enhance your mental performance and have a sharp memory!
Digital Health Buzz! aims to be the destination of choice when it comes to what’s happening in the digital health world. We are not about news and views, but informative articles and thoughts to apply in your business.