Whether you call it ‘alternative,’ ‘complementary,’ or ‘holistic,’ there’s no denying that this particular form of healing is growing in popularity year on year. By using holistic treatments, you can transform how you feel both physically and mentally, without relying on pharmaceutical products in order to do so. What exactly are holistic treatments, however, and why are they important?
What is Holistic Treatment?
Holistic medicine and treatments take into account not only the physical symptoms but the mental, emotional, and even spiritual healing of a person. Rather than a patient relying solely on powerful medications to treat ailments such as migraines, holistic treatment works with the body to create a form of healing tailored to the patient in question. For example, holistic treatment for migraines may include acupuncture, which focuses on inserting very thin needles into specific pressures point to reduce the pain and frequency of the condition sufferers may have.
Holistic medicine has been in practice for over 4,000 years, with traditional Chinese medicine being traced back to a Buddhist monk. The aim of holistic treatment is to prevent and treat ailments, rather than simply stepping in when an illness already has taken hold of the patient. It works on boosting the body’s natural healing abilities and empowers the patient to take charge of their wellbeing and treatment options.
Holistic treatments can include aspects of:
- Nutrition – Discovering the right foods to eat to promote better health
- Emotional – Treating emotional issues, such as past trauma or stress
- Spiritual – Focusing on the patient’s spiritual imbalances
- Lifestyle – Transforming the way the patient lives their life in order to promote healing
- Physical – Takes into account the physical health and whether anything needs to change to boost it
- Environmental – Consider the environment around the patient and how it could affect their health; for example, are they exposed to higher levels of air pollution?
The benefits of using holistic treatments are plentiful and include:
- Improves Overall Health – When the patient is looking after every element of their being, their overall health will naturally improve. Someone who is using yoga as a way to relieve stress may also find their energy levels are improved and they sleep better.
- Reduces the Reliance on Powerful Medication – By using holistic treatments, you can often eliminate the need to take over-the-counter medicines for ailments such as headaches. Holistic therapies are always evolving, as well, including different ways to tackle winter bugs, colds, and the flu. For example, you can opt to try IV flu recovery in Los Angeles should you feel under the weather. This specific type of treatment ensures you receive the right nutrients and vitamins you need to get back on your feet quickly. It also works by keeping you hydrated as you battle the illness.
- Promotes Self-Care – When a patient is ‘prescribed’ alternative therapies, including the acupuncture and yoga mentioned above, it promotes a level of self-care which may not have previously been considered. Often, holistic treatments provide a time where you can relax and unwind, beating stress and anxiety in a way that also looks after your physical health. This can be seen in treatments such as massage therapy and reiki.
Why are Holistic Treatments Important?
The way people live in the 21st century has transformed greatly from the lives of our ancestors. Society faces more stress, anxiety, pressure, and environmental issues such as toxins in the air than ever before. It’s for this reason why holistic health is becoming much more of a staple in our lives than previously. By taking into account all the aspects which can affect our health, we can work to combat them. Holistic treatments are also important so that our bodies don’t become immune to traditional Western medication, such as antibiotics. Holistic treatments focus on prevention, rather than cure, and this makes them vital for ongoing, overall wellbeing.
Digital Health Buzz! aims to be the destination of choice when it comes to what’s happening in the digital health world. We are not about news and views, but informative articles and thoughts to apply in your business.