Doximity, the leading digital platform for medical professionals, announced over 150 U.S. health systems have deployed Doximity Dialer Enterprise as a hospital-wide telehealth solution, including six of the top 10 U.S. hospitals. Dialer enables doctors and other healthcare professionals to securely call patients directly from their own smartphones. The company now works with a broad cross section of the nation’s top hospitals and health systems, including Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, UC San Diego Health, Fairview Health Services, and Loma Linda University Health.
To learn more, we conducted an interview with Dr. Peter Alperin, Vice President of Product at Doximity.
1. Can you tell us more about Doximity?
Founded in 2010, Doximity is the leading digital platform for medical professionals. The company’s network members include over 70% of U.S. physicians across all specialties and practice areas. Doximity provides its verified clinical membership with digital tools built for medicine, enabling them to collaborate with colleagues, stay up to date with the latest medical news and research, manage their careers and conduct virtual patient visits. Doximity’s mission is to help doctors be more productive so they can provide better healthcare for their patients.
2. What is Doximity Dialer Enterprise, and what benefits does it provide health systems with?
Dialer Enterprise is a communication service that enables providers of hospitals and health systems to initiate and conduct secure voice and video visits with their patients from their smartphone or computer. It’s easy to use for both providers and patients.
3. What are the main product features of the Doximity Dialer tool?
These are the key features of Doximity Dialer that differentiate it from other video conferencing tools:
- HIPAA Compliant. Dialer enables encrypted voice and video calls that comply with HIPAA privacy regulations. It’s secure and reliable.
- Custom CallerID. Physicians can set the CallerID to their hospital or office line, which makes it more likely that patients will recognize the phone number and pick-up. The doctor’s personal phone number is kept private and always protected.
- Epic Haiku integration. Initiate calls to patients easily and seamlessly from within Epic’s mobile electronic health record app.
- Compatible with all devices. Conduct telemedicine visits on any smartphone, tablet, and soon to-be-released, desktop. (Desktop capability is currently in beta.)
Doximity has been expanding the capabilities of Dialer and added several new features this year, including:
- Dialer on desktop: Users can take advantage of the bigger screen to see patients better or review patient charts during their visit.
- Screen-sharing: Healthcare professionals can share their screen with patients to review lab results, imaging, x-rays, and more.
- Add an interpreter: Clinicians can now add their preferred language interpreter service to a patient visit with a single tap.
- Group calling: Easily add a family member to a patient’s visit or bring a colleague into the discussion.
- Patient handoff: Quickly transfer a video call to a colleague or staff member.
4. Who would mainly use Doximity Dialer?
Verified licensed U.S. doctors, as well as other Doximity network members including nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and pharmacists.
5. What organizations are currently using Doximity Dialer Enterprise?
Today, over 150 U.S. health systems have deployed Doximity Dialer Enterprise as a hospital-wide telehealth solution, including six of the top 10 U.S. hospitals. Doximity now works with a broad cross section of the nation’s top hospitals and health systems, including Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, UC San Diego Health, Fairview Health Services, and Loma Linda University Health.
6. Is it easy to use Doximity Dialer? Can you elaborate on that?
One of the main reasons doctors and patients both love using Doximity Dialer for telehealth appointments is because it’s so easy to use. Doctors can simply click on the “Dialer” feature in the Doximity app and type in their patient’s phone number. A text message with a link to the video visit is then sent to the patient. With just one click, the patient is instantly connected with their physician. It’s that simple. Dialer works with any smartphone, so patients don’t have to download any new software or sign up for yet another service. It just works.
7. How does Doximity Dialer improve the patient’s clinical experience?
Absolutely! Unlike other platforms, Doximity Dialer doesn’t require the patient to download new software or sign up for a new service. This is especially helpful for patients who aren’t as tech-savvy or who may be older. All patients have to do is click a link that’s sent to them via text message, and they’re instantly connected with their doctor for a secure virtual visit.
Underserved communities who don’t have access to technology such as broadband high-speed internet can benefit from using Doximity Dialer as it only requires a smartphone. Research finds the majority of Americans (81%) already own a smartphone, so Doximity Dialer can help bridge the digital divide in medicine. Although telemedicine has been used in a limited way for decades, it’s now become more mainstream and widely adopted thanks to the pandemic. Patients are seeing the benefits, including no transportation time or costs, no need to take time off of work, no need to manage childcare, increased access to specialists, less time in the waiting room, and more communication with their healthcare provider.