Individuals with excessively large or high foreheads may often find it detracting them from their otherwise proportional features. This is a common problem, especially with women, and can be because of an endoscopic brow lift, coronal brow lift, prior surgery, hair loss, or genetic factors. Even as it affects one’s desire to have different hairstyles, however, it is rectifiable through hair transplant to lower hairline procedures.
What is Hairline Lowering?
A type of hair transplant is hairline lowering or forehead lowering. The procedure is carried out by hair transplant specialists to help rectify problems with high foreheads. The process does not reduce the forehead, but it is often useful for moving the location where the hairline starts.
With a professional scalp advancement, if your big forehead is an issue, you can have a long-lasting solution to it. It will allow you to advance your frontal hairline up to a certain distance depending on your preferences and other variables, as a specialist will advise you about. The variables that may affect the distance include scalp laxity, hairline height, and different client preferences.
Ideal Candidates for Hairline Lowering
- The most ideal candidates for hairline lowering are women
- Women with a large forehead and large hairline are also good candidates
- An individual who has a flexible forehead skin
- Also, men with a thick hairline are good candidates, especially if they have no history of hair loss.
Hair Transplant to Lower Hairline Procedures
There are two main procedures of hairline lowering. These are surgical hairline advancement as well as hair grafting. The procedures differ depending on the patient’s needs as well as the costs associated with each.
1. Surgical hairline advancement
A surgical hairline advancement procedure, as the name says, is a specialist’s surgery that is carried out on one’s forehead. The surgery includes the removal of a part of the skin next to the hairline by as much as 5cm (or 2 inches). As the procedure shortens the forehead, it also moves the hairline forward while the excess skin is removed through incisions, after which the suture is then closed.
This surgery makes a scar that can be concealed with hair grafting, in case the latter is required. A biodegradable scalp is then put behind the forehead skin, attaching the skin to the head muscles beneath. This attachment helps to avoid scarring.
2. Hair Grafting
Hair grafting is an alternative procedure that can also help with hairline lowering. This technique follows the removal and grafting of hair on the front of the hairline. At times, the procedure can come in handy as an independent technique of reducing a high or large forehead.
A hair-grafting expert carries the procedure out by increasing the layers of the hair above one’s natural hairline. The method is non-surgical.
Preparations for Hairline Lowering
Before the process, one ought to prepare thoroughly. Essentially, you should do the following:
- Ask your doctor or research about the processes and the precautions you should take in regard to them. Keep a tab on the things to do to prevent infections and blood clots.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications as they can hinder recovery from the hairline lowering procedures.
- Avoid taking salty foods and alcohol. These two can promote more swelling and fluid retention.
- Ask your surgeon to advise on what you should eat. You should at least eat foods that can enrich and boost your immune system in preparation for the procedures.
Pros of Hairline Lowering
The most common benefits of hairline lowering include:
- Changes in appearance as it reduces an over-sized forehead
- Hidden scars can be disguised behind the timeline after the procedure
- You can get instant results
- Short recovery time
- You can combine the procedure with a brow lift to smoothen most wrinkles on your forehead
- Ease of adaptability to different scalps
- One-time costs as there are no after-care costs
Cons of Hairline Lowering
The processes have some cons too. They include:
- Risks of infections and complications
- Bruising and swelling
- Not fit for individuals with thin hair density
- Temporary numbness after the surgery
- More procedures are required for men
An excessively high forehead or high hairline can limit one’s self-consciousness. It may also limit the number and type of hairstyles they may want to wear, as they have to settle only on those that can help camouflage the large forehead. However, with the right procedures like a hair transplant to lower hairline (or forehead lowering, foreheadplasty, hairline advancement), one can have a long-lasting solution to the problem.
This is a sponsored post
Digital Health Buzz! aims to be the destination of choice when it comes to what’s happening in the digital health world. We are not about news and views, but informative articles and thoughts to apply in your business.